This program provides grant funding of up to $5,000 to help new small businesses cover start-up related costs within one year of opening. The funding is offered as a reimbursement for expenses related to rent/mortgage, marketing & promotion, legal, accounting, and/or product development.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Visit yorkcity.org/grants to learn more.
The City’s ARPA grant programs are designed to support residents, organizations, programs, and activities that benefit City of York residents and community. Per the Final Rule, the U.S. Treasury recognizes small businesses located within a Qualified Census Tract (QCT) area as disproportionately impacted and eligible to receive funding for this program. Qualifying expenses must be related to new business expenses related to rent/mortgage, marketing & promotion, legal, accounting, and/or product development.
The City of York is required by law to obtain the following information from all grant program applicants. This information is used by the City to determine the applicant’s eligibility under US Housing and Urban Development Department (HUD) guidelines. You must meet all eligibility criteria and submit ALL the required documentation to be considered for the grant. The information you provide on this form will be kept confidential. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
See below for additional eligibility requirements and a list of required application documents:
- Must qualify as a small business – The City of York defines a small business as a business operating with 10 or fewer full-time employees.
- Earn $500,000 or less in annual gross revenues.
- Must be registered, licensed, and in good standing on all City taxes and obligations.
- Business must be physically located within a QCT in the City of York.
- Must not have unpaid code enforcement liens or violations for any state, federal, or local laws.
- Must be current on all taxes, including payroll, sales, unemployment, property, State, and Federal.
- No owners have been convicted of financial crimes within the past three years.
- Eligible costs must occur within a year of applying for grant funds.
Required application documents (as applicable):
- Fully completed start up grant application.
- Proof of address to confirm location within the City of York (e.g. utility bill, lease agreement, mortgage statement, etc.)
- Proof of completed New Business Start Up registration with the City of York
- Proof of York Adams Tax Bureau Business Privilege e.g., Mercantile Tax License
- Bank statements dating back to date of business origination.
- Federal Tax Identification Number (EIN) or social security number (SSN) if sole proprietor
- Business bank account Information or personal account if Sole Proprietor
- Current copy of IRS W-9 Tax Form
- Copy of 2022 Individual Tax Returns (if available)
- Schedule C Profit and Loss statements (if available)
- Articles of Incorporation (if available)
- Complete itemized breakdown of all costs for reimbursement. This must include receipts.
- Completed Statement of Goals and Outcomes explaining how the identified purchases support your business development plans.
- Self-Certification Form (completed within the application)
- City Agreement (only if awarded grant funds)
- Monitoring & Compliance (only if awarded grant funds)
**Please note that photos of documents are not a suitable form of submission. You must provide scanned copies of the required documents for consideration.
- Contributions to rainy day funds, financial reserves, or similar funds.
- The purchase of an already existing business.
- Payment of interest or principal on outstanding debt instruments.
- Expenses reimbursed or eligible for reimbursement through any other contract or agreement with the City, including but not limited to City Small Business Assistance previously administered or CARES Act funding.