ABOUT THE CITY OF YORK
The City of York is a thriving urban community and great destination for young professionals, families, businesses, and tourists.
The City of York rests in the center of the largest metropolitan area in York County and is the county seat. The city consists of 5.26 square miles and is the 14th largest city in Pennsylvania. York was originally laid out in 1741 along the banks of the Codorus Creek. York was incorporated as a borough on September 24, 1787, and as a city on January 11, 1887.
The Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD) is one of five city departments.
The mission of the City of York Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD) is to foster opportunities for businesses to grow and for communities to thrive and succeed. DECD works with partners, private industry, and local businesses to enhance and sustain economic prosperity, create and execute development opportunities, revitalize neighborhoods, and provide healthy options for residents within the city.
This department oversees growth and orderly development within the city & enforces all ordinances & codes that govern residential & commercial construction within the city limits.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
DECD is comprised of five bureaus with a total of 60 employees (Click appropriate link for more details):
- Bureau of Economic Development
- Bureau of Health
- Bureau of Housing Services (BHS)
- Bureau of Permits and Inspections
- Bureau of Planning and Zoning
Quick Links – Click on the appropriate link for more information about:
- 3E (Education, Empowerment & Enhancement) Small Business Grant Program Information & Application
- Complete Communities Initiative (CCI)
- COVID-19 Small Business Grant Application
- COVID-19 Small Business Grant – Flyer
- First-time Homebuyer Program/Down Payment Assistance
- How to Start a Business in the City of York – (Start Here)
- KIVA York
- Owner-Occupied Rehab Program
- Real Estate (ReTap and LERTA)
- Redevelopment Authority (RDA) Information/Inventory
- York City Finances
OFFICES AND HOURS
The Department of Economic and Community Development is located in City Hall, 101 South George Street, York, PA 17401 and 435 West Philadelphia Street, York, PA 17401 (Bureau of Health/Health Clinic).
Offices hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Nona B. Watson, Director
Department of Economic & Community Development (DECD), (717)849-2264