News & Alerts
Street Sweeping has resumed as of June 1
To provide parking facilities and services to meet the parking needs of York city residents, businesses and visitors.
The primary responsibility of the Business Administration Department is to manage all of the parking facilities owned by the City of York General Authority and the City, which includes three garages and fourteen surface lots. The Bureau is also responsible for meter collection and meter enforcement, meter installation and maintenance.
Report a Problem
Report Problems with Garages or Lots: 717-849-2309
Report Problems with Meters: 717-849-2321
Monthly parking permits can be purchased at City Hall. Discount parking coupons are available for the garages.
- Each Park and Shop coupon is worth $2.50 off your parking total.
- The Park and Shop coupons are sold in bundles of 50 for $62.50.
For more information on monthly leasing and billing please call 717-849-2309.
York City Parking LinksMonthly Parking Rates Parking Garages Parking Ticket Dispute Form Parking Ticket Payment Parking Strategic Plan
- Parking Tax Forms
Fair Parking Permits
York City provides 24-hour parking permits free of charge for residents living in areas to be affected by the annual York Fair, which takes place in September. Each household is limited to three permits, and proof of residency and registration cards for each vehicle are required. All residents living within an established area must have the permit displayed on the driver side window of their car or motorcycle to avoid a parking ticket, and the permits are only valid within one block of the holder’s residence. Street sweeping in the residential fair parking area will be suspended during the fair. Permits are available are tentatively available beginning the 3rd week of August through the last day of the Fair and will be distributed from the revenue office in City Hall at 101 S. George St. weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and from the police department at 50 W. King St. weekdays from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Individuals requesting a visitor’s permit or who have other questions the city’s parking enforcement supervisor at 717-849-2230. Permits are available for the following addresses affected by the fair: 600, 700, 800, 900 blocks of Linden Avenue 600, 700, 800 blocks of Maryland Avenue 600, 700, 800 blocks of Florida Avenue 600, 700, 800 blocks of Texas Avenue 800 block of Fern Place 200 block of North Richland Avenue 800 block of Delaware Avenue 1000 block of West King Street 1000 block of West Poplar Street 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700 blocks of North Belvidere Avenue 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700 blocks of Carlisle Ave 600, 700, 800, 900 blocks of Madison Avenue 600, 700, 800 blocks of Pennsylvania Avenue 300, 400, 500, 600, 700 blocks of North Hawthorne Street 700 block of West Philadelphia Street 200 block of Smyser Alley 900 block of Clayton Avenue
What are the Parking Meter Hours?
- All parking meters will be enforced Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
- Parking meters located in the “Retail Zone” shall also be enforced Saturday, 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
- Meter parking is free on Sundays and holidays observed by the City of York.
- The “Retail Zone” is: George Street between King Street and North Street Beaver Street between King Street and Gas Avenue Market Street between Duke Street and Pershing Avenue Philadelphia Street between Duke Street and Pershing Avenue
- Meters are marked with the hours of operation and enforcement.
Do you have to pay to park on the street? Yes. The downtown area has parking meters for on-street parking. All parking meters will be enforced: Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM (free on Sundays and holidays observed by the City of York) Where can I report problems with garages, lots, or meters?
- To report problems with garages, lots, or meters please call 717-849-2321, Monday-Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Parking Meters & Rates
Enforcement Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Free on Sundays and holidays observed by the City of York) New Years Day – January 1 Martin Luther King Day – January 15 Good Friday – March 30 Memorial Day – May 28 Independence Day – July 4 Labor Day – September 3 Thanksgiving Day – November 23 Day after Thanksgiving – November 24 Christmas Eve – December 24 Christmas Day – December 25 Saturday from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM for parking meters located in the “Retail Zone”. The “Retail Zone”: George Street between King Street and North Street Beaver Street between King Street and Gas Avenue Market Street between Duke Street and Pershing Avenue Philadelphia Street between Duke Street and Pershing Avenue Meters are marked with the hours of operation and enforcement. Digital Meter Rates: $0.05 – 3 minutes $0.10 – 6 minutes $0.25 – 15 minutes Mechanical Meter Rates: $0.10 – 10 minutes $0.25 – 25 minutes *Mechanical meters only take dimes and quarters Meter Permits: City Residents: Meter permits are available for city residents in designated areas The Core area is $30.28 per month and the Non-Core area is $74.64 for six months Please call 717-815-0517 for more information Contractors: Permits are available for construction for $12.60 per day plus a the sign fee of $1 Please call 717-815-0517 for more information Handicap Parking: Meter parking for person with disabilities and disabled veterans is permitted at all blue headed meters marked as HCP parking as well as all available meters in the city. The PennDOT approved placard or license plate must be presented. All meters must be paid and no unpaid grace periods are permitted. Visitors have the ability to extend one additional hour over the standard two hour maximum with person with disabilities and disabled veterans placard or license plate.
Article 509.10 PARKING OVERTIME.
No owner or operator of any vehicle shall cause, allow or permit such vehicle to be parked overtime or beyond the period of the legal parking time established for any parking meter zone herein created. (1944 Code Ch. 18 §63.)
The following are the parking fines for the City of York
- Parking Overtime/ Code 509.10 – $25
- Time Zone Violation/ Code 513.19 – $35
- No Parking Zone/ Code 513.19 – $35
- Double Parking/ Code 513.17 – $60
- Late Fee Notice – $20
- On Sidewalk/ Code 513.14H – $35
- Blocking Driveway or Garage/ Code 513.14I – $35
- Obstructing Traffic/ Code 513.14M – $35
- Too Close To An Intersection/ Code 513.14D – $35
- Too Far From Curb – $25
- Bus or Taxi Zone – $25
- Too Close To A Stop Sign/ Code 513.14E – $35
- Fire Hydrant – $100
- No Parking Zone Specified Hrs/ Code 513.14K – $40
- In Loading Zone – $25
- On Bridge or Within 15’ of a Bridge/ Code 513.14Q – $35
- Wrong Direction – $25
- Handicapped Parking/ Code 513.18 – $150
- Expired Inspection/ Code 513.18A – $35
- Expired Registration/ Code 513.18B – $35
- Monthly Parking – $25
- Residential Permit Parking Only – $25
- Unattached Trailer – $25
- Parking Trucks,TRLS & SEMI-TRLS/ Code 525.06 – $25
- Manor of Parking/ Code 509.08 – $35
- Loading Zones: It is permissible to stop in a loading zone only for the period of time required to load or unload the vehicle.
- Double Parking: It is illegal to double park on any city streets.
Legal Parking Distances
- Stop Lights and Stop Signs: It is illegal to park closer than 30 feet from a controlled intersection.
- Uncontrolled Intersections: It is Illegal to park closer than 15 feet from a controlled intersection.
- Cross Walks: It is illegal to park closer than 20 feet from corner or courtesy crosswalks.
- Fire Hydrants: It is illegal to park closer than 15 feet from any fire hydrant.
Upcoming General Authoriy Meetings
January 17, 2019 July 18, 2019
February 21, 2019 August 15, 2019
March 21, 2019 September 19, 2019
April 18, 2019 October 17, 2019
May 16, 2019 November 21, 2019
June 20, 2019 December 19, 2019
Street Sweeping Updates
The City of York wishes to inform our residents and visitors that street cleaning enforcement will resume on Monday, June 1, 2020.
All residents should follow the posted parking restrictions for sweeping. Anyone with questions about street sweeping can call the Highway Bureau at 717-849-2320. The fine for violating parking during “No Parking During Specified Hours” is $40.00
- Jury Parking
The City will also recognize the following Holidays:
Martin Luther King Day – Monday, January 21, 2019
Good Friday – Friday, April 19, 2019
Memorial Day – Monday, May 27, 2019
Independence Day – Thursday, July 4, 2019
Labor Day – Monday, September 2, 2019
Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, November 28, 2019
Day after Thanksgiving – Friday, November 29, 2019
Christmas Eve – Tuesday, December 24, 2019
Christmas Day – Wednesday, December, 25, 2019
New Year’s Day – Wednesday, January 1, 2020
The City will be in operation on Monday, October 14, 2019 for Colombus Day. Therefore, Parking Enforcement will operate as normal from 8am-5pm.