Annual Events Contracted by the City of York
The City of York has contracted with Working Progress to coordinate and execute special events.
The mission of the York City Recreation and Parks Bureau is to meet the recreation needs of York City residents by providing direction, planning, and coordination of services to enhance their quality of life through year-round leisure programs and facilities that will develop and enhance physical, emotional, mental and social well-being. For this reason, York City Recreation and Parks is proud to bring our community a variety of fun, free, large-scale community events each year. Dollars are raised from corporate donations and booth fees, so that no City tax dollars are used.
Please email York City Special Events for the following:
- Event Questions OR General Information
- Interested in Becoming a Vendor
- Interested in Performing at a Special Event
- Event Sponsorship
Please Note: The Labor Day Festival is a Parks & Recreation Bureau event. Please click the button to find out more information.
Unofficial Annual Events
There are also many long-standing annual events held in the City of York but not officially connected to the City. Below is a list of such events along with the approximate time they occur during the year. Information is generally available on the Internet about an event closer to the expected time of the event:
- FestivIce: Ice sculptures decorate downtown
- Restaurant Week: Get specials at restaurants throughout the City
- St. Patrick’s Day Parade
- Go Green in the City: Booths with environmental and healthy-living themes
- Taste of Pennsylvania Wine and Music Festival: Sample wines and food, buy bottles
- Street Rods Nationals East: Antique cars can be seen everywhere
- York State Fair: Rides and food and games and agriculture rooted in a tradition going back to 1765
- Pennsylvania Cigar Box Guitar Festival: Lots of music on lots of cigar box guitars
- What the Food Trucks: Plenty of food truck options
- York White Rose 5 Mile Run
- York County Oyster Festival: Oysters, other good food, and kids activities to benefit the York County Historical Society
- Sweetest Pint Tasting Tour: Stops at bars that pair a beer tasting with food
- Farm to City Dinner: Showcases York County produce and meat and other products
- Halloween Parade
- Articles of Confederation Day: Step back in time with reenactors in York City’s colonial complex
If you have difficulty finding information on the Internet and the expected month approaches, you may call 717-849-2221 and ask for the Mayor’s office.