Sewer Information

The City of York has approximately 14,000 sewer customers receiving monthly bills. Charges for both the Sewer and Refuse are combined on one bill. The sewer bill is based on water usage information obtained from the York Water Company. The current rate is $9.10 per 1,000 gallons of water. The minimum monthly sewer charge is $18.00.

For Payment Information please click here.

Who Maintains the Sewer System?

The York City Sewer Maintenance department is responsible for the maintenance and repair of over 520,000 linear feet of sewer lines located within the City. The sewer system is a critical component in the operations of the York City WWTP. The system conveys the wastewater generated by sewer users in the City, and portions of seven (7) other municipalities, to the WWTP for treatment.

Sewer Maintenance Department

Helpful Information

  • My Sewer is Backed Up
    1. Call a Plumber or Drain Cleaning Service
      When a sewer problem is experienced in your home, contact a plumber or drain-cleaning service. The yellow pages list many companies that can service your line.
      If the blockage occurs, contact the York City Wastewater Treatment Plant at 717-845-2794 and a crew will be dispatched to check the sanitary sewer main line. If the problem is in the City sewer system the City sanitary sewer maintenance crew will correct it. If not, you will be notified to contact a plumber or drain cleaning service.
    2. Property Owner or Renter Responsibility
      The property owner is responsible for keeping the sewer service line clear between the building and the sewer main. Grease, roots, or foreign objects in the service line often cause blockages. Be sure to place any cooking or kitchen grease in a sealed container and dispose with your garbage. If poured down the drain, the grease hardens in the service line and will cause a blockage.
    3. Defective Service Line
      If the plumber or drain cleaning service is unable to clear the blockage, or finds a defect in the service line, the plumber should notify the City (717-845-2794) as soon as possible. The City will repair a defective service line if the problem is between the curb and the sewer main. The property owner is responsible for repair of the service line from the building to the curb.
    4. Insurance Recommendations
      Homeowners and Renters should check their insurance policy to determine if they are covered for sewage backups and flooding. It is advised to include this coverage in your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy. If you are unsure if you are covered for this type of damage, contact your insurance agent.
  • Sewer Contact Information

    Sewer Emergencies:
    (717) 894-1187

    Billing Quesitons:
    (717) 849-2268

Documents & Forms

Annual Report

Search City of York