Select Permits Are Now Available Online!
The Bureau of Permits and Inspections has developed a plan for issuing permits, inspections and plan reviews. Access to City Hall will continue to be limited and the following modifications to our plan review, permitting and construction inspection process will be in effect.
Uniform Construction Code & Non Uniform Construction Code Applications
The applications for permits required under the Uniform Construction Code (building, electrical, plumbing and mechanical) have been updated and combined into one application. The application for non-UCC permits (curb and sidewalk, swimming pools, fences, sheds etc.) has also been revised. Beginning August 1, 2016 older versions of the permit applications will no longer be accepted. For your convenience, these applications are now form fillable. You can fill the application out and then print it. Only the fields that the applicant must fill out are form fillable and begin with the parcel identification number. Click on that box, fill it in and simply hit tab to go to the next required field. Please remember that incomplete applications cannot be accepted. If you are requesting a permit for a tenant occupied property the license must be current in order to receive a permit.
LERTA & ReTAP Applications
Applications for LERTA or ReTAP must be submitted at the time permits are issued. Please make sure that you have your current assessment card or tax bill when submitting the application.
- Residential Electrical Load Calculation Sheet 2014 4/2/2014
- Plan Review Application 2020
- Plan Review Application Instructions 2019
- Affidavit of Exemption 12/10/18
- Appeal Application, Construction Board of Adjustment & Appeals 2/15/2013
- Temporary R-3 Ceritifcate of Occupancy
- R-3 Certificate of Occupancy Checklist
- Certificate of Use and Occupancy Application 05/10/2018
- Consolidated Board Of Appeals Application (Blight, Property Maintenance Code, Nuisance Abatement)12/10/18
- Construction Sidewalk Closure Application 12/10/18
- Curb & Sidewalk Bond Application 2/18/2013
- DEMOLITION AGREEMENT (BUILDING PERMIT ALSO REQ.) 12/10/18
- Right-of-Way Vacation Application 3/19/2013
- Neighborhood Improvement Ordinance Ticket Appeal Application 12/10/18
- PEDDLER APPLICATION FF
- Special Event Health License Instructions 1/2019
- Special Event Health License Application 1/2019
- Sidewalk Cafe Permit 2018
- Site Plan Example 2/18/2013
- Storm Water Management Guide & Permit Application 3/14/2013
- Subdivision & Land Development Approval Application
- Uniform Construction Code Appeal Application (NOT ACCESSIBILITY) 12/10/18
- Zoning Determination Request Form
- Zoning Hearing Board Application
Building and Construction Codes in the City of York**
When codes are adopted and become part of the law, certain agencies within the government are appointed to oversee the application of and compliance with the codes. In the City of York, Building Official and his staff are responsible to oversee the proper application and enforcement of:
- New Construction (Both Commercial and Residential)- 2009 International Building Code along with Appendices B, C, D, E, F, H and J, as published by the International Codes Council. Effective December 31, 2012 the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry requires compliance with the accessibility requirements of Chapter 11 and Appendix E of the 2012 International Building Code.
- Residential Construction – 2009 International Residential Code along with Appendices A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, J, K and L, as published by the International Codes Council.
- Existing Building Code – 2009 International Existing Building Code along with The Appendix, as published by the International Codes Council.
- Fire Code – 2009 International Fire Code along with Appendices B, C, D, E, F and G, as published by the International Codes Council.
- Plumbing Code – 2009 International Plumbing Code along with Appendices B, C, D, E, F and G, as published by the International Codes Council.
- Mechanical Code – 2009 International Mechanical Code along with Appendix A, as published by the International Codes Council.
- Fuel Gas Code – 2009 International Fuel Gas Code along with Appendices A, B, C and D, as adopted by the International Codes Council.
*To view these documents please visit www.ICCsafe.org
PLATFORM FOR PERMIT APPLICATIONS
You must use the link below to apply for UCC PERMITS, DEMOLITION AGREEMENTS, CURB AND SIDEWALK, YARD SALE, ELECTRICAL TURN ON, DUMPSTER, MECHANICAL DEVICE LICENSES, PLUMBER’S LICENSES, AND CURB & SIDEWALK PERMITS:
Open Gov Citizen Services Portal
PA UNIFORM CONSTRUCTION CODE ADOPTS UPDATED CODES
Any project for which a design or construction contract was not signed prior to February 14, 2022 shall utilize the following codes:
2018 International Building Code
2021 IBC Accessibility Provisions
2018 International Existing Building Code
2021 IEBC Accessibility Provisions
2017 ANSI/ICC A117.1
2018 International Fuel Gas Code
2018 International Mechanical Code
2018 International Plumbing Code
2021 IPC Accessibility Provisions
2017 NFPA 70 National Electrical Code
2018 International Residential Code
2018 International Fire Code
Any standards referenced by these adopted codes follow whatever year is noted in the referenced standards section of that code.
Any project that under design or contract prior to February 14, 2022 may use the 2015 I-Codes with the 2018 accessibility provisions and the 2009 ANSI/ICC A117.1. this applied to projects where the application for permits is prior to August 14, 2022.
All applications must be returned to the Bureau of Permits and Inspections located 101 South George Street. Some applications will require a fee to accompany the permit at the time of submission. For more information, please call the Bureau of Permits and Inspections at 717-849-2256 during normal business hours.
PERMIT APPLICATION & PICK-UP HOURS:
Office of The Bureau of Permits, Planning and Zoning
101 South George Street – PO Box 509
York, PA 17401
Phone: (717) 849-2256
- City of York Building Codes
- PPZ Deadlines/ 2013 Development Review Calendar 3/19/2013
- When Are Plans Required For Residential Construction?
- When Do I Need a Certificate of Use and Occupancy?
- Commercial Plan Submission Requirements 4/1/2013
- Requirements For Special Events
- Requirements For Zoning Hearing Board of Appeal Application
- Penality For Working Without A Permit
- Permit & Zoning Fees 2/19/2013(UPDATED 12/1818
- Swimming Pool Regulations
- Subdivision & Land Development Fee Schedule
- Health License Fee Schedule
- 2011 City of York Zoning Map 9/14/2011
- International Residential Code Footing and Foundation Inspection Checklist 2/18/2013
- International Residential Code Framing Inspection Checklist 2/18/2013
- International Residential Code Drywall Inspection Checklist 2/18/2013
- International Residential Code Fuel Gas Piping Inspection Checklist 2/18/2013
- International Residential Code Underfloor Inspection Checklist 2/18/2013
- International Residential Code Re-Roof Inspection Checklist 2/18/2013
- International Residential Code Building Final Inspection Checklist 2/18/2013
- International Residential Code Roof Shearwall Inspection Checklist 2/18/2013
- International Residential Code Deck Inspection Checklist 2/18/2013
- Fire Alarm Acceptance Checklist 2/18/2013