DATE: Saturday, December 7, 2019
TIME: 12:00 Noon – 7:00 PM
This is a rain-or-shine event.
(Some related downtown events will be starting earlier and ending later)
Spend the day in downtown York enjoying a variety of FREE family-friendly activities.
Scroll below to download a 2018 map and schedule of events. Events for 2019 are currently being finalized and a new map and schedule for 2019 will be posted in mid-November.
Tentative plans for 2019 include:
- Scavenger hunt (with prizes!) in multiple locations (12 noon to 5 p.m.) — pick up form on the NW corner of Continental Square from Elite Property Management booth
- Indoor Photo Opp Stop with multiple fun holiday backdrops for holiday photos
- Holiday entertainment, workshops, and tours
- Expanded Central Market House hours (open until 4 p.m.)
- Victorian holiday programming at The Bonham House (times tbd)
- Matinee and evening movies in the Capitol Theatre (2 p.m. Frosty the Snowman, 3 p.m. How the Grinch Stoll Christmas, and 4 p.m. Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer)
- Hands-on art activities, face painting, balloon twists (12 noon to 4 p.m.)
- Holiday-themed Escape Room at the Rex/Laurel Fire Co. (12 noon to 4 p.m.)
- Human Snow Globe photo station at the Studio (Appell Center) (12 noon to 4 p.m.)
- Holiday Flea in Cherry Lane (12 noon to 5 p.m.)
- NEW for 2019: “Shared Faith: The Golden Rule” program celebrating cultural diversity in our community (12:30 to 3:30 p.m.)
- Photos with Santa at Martin Library (1 to 4 p.m.; must be in line by 3:30 p.m.)
- Live reindeer available for photos in first block of East Market Street (3 to 5 p.m.)
- Lighting of the York City Christmas Tree (ceremony begins 5 p.m.)
- … AND MORE!
Events are FREE and open to the public thanks to our generous sponsors. Marketing opportunities are still available for this event.
The 2017 Light Up York expansion into a full-day event was brought to you thanks to funding from the Cultural Alliance of York County, fueling the creative energy and vibrancy of our community through its financial investment in eight partner agencies and the Creative Impact Awards that bring arts and culture experiences to the lives of thousands of people in our community each year.
Tree lighting ceremony begins at 5 p.m.
Event MCs: Liz Bell and Chris Tyler of WARM 103.3
The City of York thanks Robin Hildebrand for donating the 2018 Continental Square Christmas Tree and Kinsley Construction for donating removal and delivery services.
Events will take place in and around Continental Square in Downtown York, PA (intersection of Market and George Streets)
For GPS directions:
Philadelphia Street Parking Garage: 25 West Philadelphia Street, York, PA 17401
King Street Parking Garage: 15 West King Street, York, PA 17401
Parking is FREE in York City garages on Saturday. Please note that meters are enforced in the Business District until 3 p.m. on Saturdays.
Thank You to Our Generous Co-Sponsors:
- To receive updates, please like our page on Facebook or follow @YorkCityEvents on Twitter.
- For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 717-849-2217 (recorded info line).
- Reminder: Pets are prohibited within York City Special Event areas. Please do not bring pets with you.
- Please note the following parking and travel restrictions:
Market Street from Beaver to Duke Streets
George Street from King to Philadelphia Streets
No Parking after 1 p.m. (parking meters are in effect in the Business District)
Streets closed to traffic beginning 3 p.m.
- 2018 Light Up York Map & Schedule of Events — 2019 version coming soon
- 2019 Facebook Invitation
- 2019 poster to print and share