Dating back to 1749, The York City Police Department continues to serve a diverse population within an urban environment located in South Central Pennsylvania. Police officers enjoy a quality work environment with competitive salary and benefits packages. The mission of the York City Police Department is to serve our community with respect, fairness and compassion. We are committed to the prevention of crime, the protection of life and property, the preservation of peace, order, safety and enforcement of laws and ordinances while safeguarding constitutional guarantees. We invite you to join us in this challenge.
- Create an account on www.PoliceApp.com/YorkCityPA
- Cost of application is $ 65.00, see website for instructions on payment.
- If written exam is passed successfully by candidate, the next step is the oral examination. Instructions will be given to candidates upon successful completion of the written exam.
- If oral exam is passed successfully by candidate, a notification will be made and the candidate will be placed on an eligibility list.
- Once the written and oral exams have been completed, civil service points will be provided to qualified veterans, city residents, and bilingual candidates, subject to civil service rules.
- A background questionnaire will be sent to candidates on the eligibility list.
- When a position of police officer is open, the York City Police Department will choose from the top 3 candidates. Veterans on that list may not be skipped per civil service mandates.
Once a candidate is in the top 3 and a position of police officer is open, the following steps will be next in the process.
- Pass the standardized psychological test (MMPI)
- Municipal Police Officer Training and Education Commission physical fitness test
- Pass vision and hearing screening
- Pass a medical physical