Due to a large winter storm that began Wednesday morning and is expected to last into Thursday morning, the trash hauler will be closed and there will NO collections in York City on Thursday, December 17th.
Customers in the Monday/Thursday refuse district will have double the bag limit picked up on Monday 12/21. These affected customers should hold all trash indoors until Sunday night.
As of now, Friday collections will take place as scheduled. We will update this schedule if it becomes necessary.
York City refuse customers are asked to be patient and to make special efforts during winter’s harsh weather to properly prepare all items placed for collection. Trash collection in good weather is a tough job. Wind, rain, snow and ice present many additional challenges for collection crews, often resulting in sprains and similar injuries, frostbite and even worse. Additionally, collections in inclement weather will take longer and crews begin work as early as 6 a.m. and may be collecting as late as 6 p.m.
What You Can Do to Help …
- Place all trash in securely tied, heavy-mil bags (Max. 32 gals & 40 pounds) or in trash cans with tied bags and tight fitting lids (Max. 32 gals & 40 pounds). (Note: no loose trash in cans)
- With snow, it is recommended that customers use dark colored bags so they are visible against snow covered ground.
- Uncover and clear a path to all items.
- In cases of heavy snow accumulation, place items on top of, or in front of snow piles directly along the collection route, so they are easily accessible by collection crews.
- In case of wind, consider using just tied trash bags instead of placing them in trash cans that may blow into the streets before or after being emptied.
- Do not place unscheduled large-items or trash in excess of your bag limit. They will not be collected.
- Be sure all items are placed at the pick-up point by 6 a.m. the day of collection. Crews begin at 6 a.m. and will not return for items that are set out late.