With the impending snowstorm that is forecast to begin Wednesday night into early Friday, February 17th through 19th, there will be no curbside collections in York City for the remainder of this week.
Due to high winds that may accompany this snow storm, please ensure ALL containers are kept indoors and NOTHING is to be at pick up points until after 5 p.m. the evening before your next scheduled collection day, next week.
Republic Services will be collecting up to double the normal bag limit on Monday 2/22 and Tuesday 2/23. For customers who had pre-scheduled large items for Thursday or Friday of this week, those items will be collected with normal trash on your next regular trash day, next week.
- Monday/Thursday Area – Place trash at pick up point after 5 p.m. Sunday night for collection on Monday 2/22 (up to double the normal bag limit)
- Tuesday/Friday Area – Place trash at pick up point after 5 p.m. Monday night for collection on Tuesday 2/23 (up to double the normal bag limit)
York City refuse customers are asked to be patient and to make special efforts during winter’s harsh weather to properly prepare all items placed for collection. Trash collection in good weather is a tough job. Wind, rain, snow and ice present many additional challenges for collection crews, often resulting in sprains and similar injuries, frostbite and even worse. Additionally, collections in inclement weather will take longer and crews begin work as early as 6 a.m. and may be collecting as late as 6 p.m.
What You Can Do to Help
- Place all trash in securely tied, heavy-mil bags (Max. 32 gals & 40 pounds) or in tied bags placed inside trash cans with tight fitting lids (Max. 32 gals & 40 pounds). (Note: no loose trash in cans)
- With snow, it is recommended that customers use dark colored bags, so they are visible against snow covered ground.
- Uncover and clear a path to all items.
- In cases of heavy snow accumulation, place items on top of, or in front of snow piles directly along the collection route, so they are easily accessible by collection crews.
- In case of wind, consider using just tied trash bags instead of placing them in trash cans that may blow into the streets before or after being emptied.
- Do not place unscheduled large-items or trash in excess of your bag limit. They will not be collected.
- Be sure all items are placed at the pick-up point by 6 a.m. the day of collection. Crews begin at 6 a.m. and will not return for items that are set out late.