Due to the forecasted “plowable” weather to begin the afternoon of Saturday, 1/6/24, the hauler will begin collections this Saturday at 5 a.m.
All customers in the Tuesday/Friday Refuse District should place items at the normal pick up point after 5 p.m. Friday night, 1/5/24.
York City refuse customers are asked to be patient and to make special efforts during winter’s harsh weather by properly preparing all items placed for collection. Trash collection in good weather is a tough job. Wind, rain, snow and ice present many additional challenges for collection crews, often resulting in sprains and similar injuries, frostbite or worse. Additionally, collections in inclement weather take longer and with approval from the City, crews may begin work as early as 5 a.m. and may collect as late as 6 p.m.
What You Can Do to Help
- Place ALL trash in securely tied, heavy-mil bags (Max. 32 gals & 40 pounds) or in tied bags placed inside trash cans with tight fitting lids (Max. 32 gals & 40 pounds). (Note: NO LOOSE TRASH in or out of cans)
- With snow, it is recommended that customers use dark colored bags so they are visible against snow covered ground.
- Uncover and clear a path to all items.
- In cases of heavy snow accumulation, place items on top of, or in front of snow piles directly along the collection route, so they are easily accessible by collection crews.
- In case of wind, consider using just tied, heavy-mil trash bags instead of placing bags into trash cans that may blow into the streets before or after being emptied.
- Do not place unscheduled large-items or trash in excess of your bag limit. They will not be collected.
- Be sure all items are placed at the pick-up point after 5 pm the night prior to collection. During inclement weather, and with prior approval from the City, crews may begin as early as 5 a.m. and will not return for items that are set out late.