Due to the expected sleet and freezing rain forecast for Friday afternoon and hazardous driving conditions, the City of York announces to curbside customers in the Tuesday/Friday pick up area that collections will begin one hour early at 5 a.m. on Friday 2/4/22.
All trash must be placed for collection the night prior after 5 p.m. and at the latest by 5 a.m. on Friday morning. The Hauler will not return for trash placed after 5 a.m.
York City refuse customers are asked to be patient and to make special efforts during winter’s harsh weather to properly prepare all items placed for collection. Trash collection in good weather is a tough job. Wind, rain, snow, and ice present many additional challenges for collection crews, often resulting in sprains and similar injuries, frostbite and even worse.
What You Can Do to Help
- Place all trash in securely tied, heavy-mil bags (Max. 32 gals & 40 pounds) or in tied bags placed inside trash cans with tight fitting lids (Max. 32 gals & 40 pounds). (Note: no loose trash in cans)
- With snow, it is recommended that customers use dark colored bags, so they are visible against snow covered ground.
- Uncover and clear a path to all items.
- In cases of heavy snow accumulation, place items on top of, or in front of snow piles directly along the collection route, so they are easily accessible by collection crews.
- In case of wind, consider using just tied trash bags instead of placing bags into trash cans that may blow into the streets before or after being emptied.
- Consider holding loose recyclables until the next week if it is windy.
- Do not place unscheduled large-items or trash in excess of your bag limit. They will not be collected.
Be sure all items are placed at the pick-up point by 5 a.m. this Friday 2/4/22. Crews will begin at 5 a.m. and will not return for items that are set out late.